The American Military Museum needs your help! We have started a Capital Funds Campaign, and we need your help to reach our goal. We have plans to expand the museum display space, establish a interview recording room and carpet the meeting room. If you are interested in contributing, please scan the QRcode below, or click HERE.We are grateful for your support!
The American Military Museum offers a one-of-a-kind experience in military history!
Now located inside the Citadel Mall in the Dillard's wing, and adjacent to the Charleston Area Model Railroad Club and The Best Friend Railway Museum, the American Military Museum is filled with hundreds of fully-authentic uniforms, equipment, artifacts and weapons from military conflicts dating from the Revolutionary War through to the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors will marvel at display cases filled with uniforms, headgear, military equipment, flags, medals and hundreds of military artifacts from the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. Among the highlights you'll see when you visit:
- An 1820 infantry bell crown shako - one of only three known to exist.
- An 1872 9th Cavalry dress blue uniform from the famed Buffalo Soldiers. It is thought to be the only one in the country.
- Gen. George Patton's deceptive 14th Army patch and 16 "phantom division" patches designed to misdirect the German defense of the Normandy invasion.
- German WWI and WWII uniforms and weaponry, a variety of female military uniforms and many other unique displays such as our collection of hundreds of military miniatures and toy soldiers and more..
- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's 5-star rank insignia.
- The Purple Heart Memorial Chapel featuring a custom-made stained glass panel of the Purple Heart Medal created by local Charleston artisan Mike Hiester of Blue Heron Glass.